"A leader must communicate, inspire, execute today's plan while thinking about tomorrow's and all the while considering how to better himself or herself. All of this collected wisdom must then be passed on, so that there are leaders in place for the future."
- Ed Ruggero, "Battled Tested Leadership: What Gettysburg Can Teach Today's Financial Executives," Financial Executive, July/August 2013
Ruggero offers fascinating insights about what really happened at the Battle of Gettysburg. Today's business leaders seldom experience the catalyzing fire of life and death struggles on the battlefield, but we can all learn from the experiences and mistakes of the leaders tested in those fires.
Roggero's leadership lessons:
- Support decisive leaders
- Coach according to the needs of the team member
- Teach creativity and support it with resources
- Practice making compelling business cases with your team
- Inspire and engage your team